- Latest News|
- Press, Media Coverage
Web Audio, Video, Radio
Lists, snippets, tangents
- Studio Journal
- Guitar Tabs
Food and Drink
- Ask Lloyd
Pre, Mid, Post
help & how to
- Press Kit
The Young Idealists
posted: 09/01/2013 by Lloyd
category: Studio Journal
Yesterday was supposed to be a complete day off, but it wasn't. I had to make rough mixes for a couple of hours in the afternoon and I didn't sleep as well as I would have hoped. This record has pretty much taken over 95% of me, now. It keeps me awake when I need sleep, I'm not much use to my family - my mind is on the recording, the schedule, the deadlines. Still some rest was taken I'm somewhat refreshed.
It's just me in the small room today hoping to get Kids Today keyboards finished. Maybe more...
Blair recorded three full passes of electric piano. I assemble a comp from them. 80% of what is needed is there and the vibe is great. The remaining 20% I create in the Piano Roll midi editor in Logic - I move notes, create new notes, change harmonies, change rhythms, and edit the first part of the day away. I'm almost done when I have to pick Frank up from school. Straight back to work - I complete the comp and I like it a lot. The sound (the Kurzweil again) may be a little too clean - I add the Izotope Trash distortion plug in. I print a clean and a distorted version. We can decide/fine tune when we mix.
Next - Strings and Flutes. Blair and I recorded some ideas to midi. I listen and evaluate. The strings are nice but they must not sound like they are a large section or in a large room. This is difficult with the patches I have. I try Solina Strings (like Sound and Vision) but they are wrong for this song. I end up with the original patch (a mix of Mellotron and real strings sampled) and I edit the mix and the release and I'm finally happy. The part needs to be fine tuned to match the patch, time consuming, dull stuff... I drive home and grab a quick meal and then straight back. The flute idea works in the second part of the chorus and the afterchorus with the Philly style strings. I tidy it up and make a rough mix. Home in time to watch a film with my kids but Frank has homework.
I head for the attic and check the rough mix on iTunes. The strings STILL sound too big. Maybe I don't want strings on Kids Today...
I listen one more time. I think maybe the guitar through the favoured Blue Sky Pedal setting (a sort of reverb with octave shimmer) could work instead of strings. I can get the infinite sustain with the Moog guitar for the 4 bar held note.
Language: lost in Translation
Title: Fun with MIDI
You got to like the software they got theese days.Moving notes around changinging sounds can be fun but Teadous as well I hope you can finish up soon then you can Relax.Sounds like it is progressibg well.Like the Racuators say Steady as She Goes.
Title: Give yourself a break!
Any golf courses open in your part of the world at this time of year? Go see a movie?
Clear your head, it helps so much to listen with fresh ears. But you know that already!
The recording was started with a deluxe edition on the cards, but unlike Broken Record there were no prerecording demos, instead the deluxe edition promised outtakes.
I pondered if I would have preferred demos, as it is good to hear the early versions and see how a song comes together, often from simple structure, through to the full realization. Reading these studio journals it would appear that the many mixes and outtakes will be interesting for what makes it, as compared to what doesn't. Hearing of possible stringed versions, and being able to make up our own minds on various mixes will make us feel like little record producers. I hope some of the mixes you describe make our special editions. I can't wait to hear the final product, in the right place at the right time on the right system...undoing the packing and experiencing the album.