Den brittiske låtsmeden Lloyd Cole är dubbelt aktuell i höst, dels med nya albumet Broken record, dels med en turné som når Uppsala nu på fredag. Med sig har han två musiker, Mark Schwaber på gitarr och mandolin och Matt Cullen på gitarr och banjo.
Swedish to English translation
Lloyd Cole likes
the small size
The British left with: Lloyd Cole is twice the current in the autumn, and with the new album Broken record, and with a tour that reaches Uppsala on Friday. With him he has two musicians, Mark Schwaber on guitar and mandolin and Matt Cullen on guitar and banjo.
It started with The commotions
Was former member of the Lloyd Cole & the commotions, whose debut album Rattlesnakes (1984) was an immediate success with both record buyers and critics. After three albums the group disbanded 1989.
Debuted as a solo artist with the album Lloyd Cole in 1990. The eighth studio album, Broken Record was released earlier this fall and reached the spot 12 on the Swedish försäjningslistan.
Cole has also been featured in the New York group, The Negatives, which released the album The Negatives 2000.
– There are three of us who play string instruments on the album, “says Lloyd Cole. Personally, I play acoustic guitar and banjo.
Cole has in recent years mostly worked, but other musicians, both on record and on stage. But when he had written songs for a new album, he felt that it was needed.
– But I’m still skeptical that touring with the band. I usually do not like it. Travelling around the same people for longer requires diplomacy and tact on all sides, and there’s almost always be someone who does not. But I hope it will be good with this group!
Since the debut album by Lloyd Cole & the commotions of more than a quarter century ago, his career has been both up and down.
Cole has claimed the lives of chart success and worked with major labels, but are happier where he is today.
– I’m not interested in rankings or make spectacular videos. I’m just anxious to make as good records as possible.
Through touring, he has built up a loyal fan base. Many of them have helped finance the new album.
– We decided that they could pre-order a special edition of the disc, a box with a bonus album and a poster. People began to send in orders already a year ago, and so we got half the recording cost.
– But it’s been a lot of administrative work with this. It had probably been easier to just do a one-month tour instead!
Since the last album was released Antidepressant fans have also been able to buy another box, Cleaning Out The Ashtray, with unreleased material, single rear, alternate takes and two live recordings that have only sold at concerts.
Cole likes to give his listeners something extra. No event is ever the same and apart from his own songs he will sing happy to unexpected interpretations of everything from Pet Shop Boys to Motorhead.
– When I play cover songs I choose songs that I could not write himself. They bring something different to my set list. Often when I take a song by someone else is the inspiration for my own songwriting. I find chord progressions that I had not thought of yourself and get ideas for new songs.
Cole believes that his own approach to music has changed considerably since he began writing songs.
– As a teenager, I had an unlimited amount of energy to listen to music. I listened all the time and did not mind listening through ten horrible songs to find one that was really good. Now, I prefer silence. I have maybe twenty songs in my iPod. Bad music I see as a great insult.
– When I wrote Are You Ready to Be Heartbroken to the first disc with The commotions, I knew we had something that was unique. I think there are too many bands that most seem to want to meet women and make money. Should I write songs should seek to do something exceptional, otherwise you might as well get a new job.
Publication: UNT.SE Kultur
Publication date: 17/11/10